The Massey Alliance is a group of young professionals serving under the auspices of the Advisory Board to create awareness of and support for the research, resources and programs at VCU Massey Cancer Center. Through volunteerism, community outreach and fundraising, the Alliance expresses its strong support for the people and programs at Massey. Since its formation in 2002, the Alliance has evolved into an over 40-member junior board under the Massey Cancer Center Advisory Board with an ever-expanding group of more than 500 volunteers that is critical to the success of the VCU Massey Cancer Center mission. Through its events, outreach and fundraising, the Alliance forms a foundation of philanthropy, that will benefit Massey Cancer Center for years to come.
- Massey Alliance Board members
2014-2015 Massey Alliance officers
- Sarah Cossé, President
- Mike Gray, President Elect
- Courtney Matthews, President Emeritus
- Elizabeth Minter, Outreach Chair
- Sam Cates, Public Relations Chair
- Eric Morales, Sponsorship Chair
- Maggie Finnegan, Secretary
- Jay Collier, Treasurer
2014-2015 Massey Alliance board members
- Burns Ackerly
- O'Conor Ashby
- Kim Carlson
- Jay Carpenter
- Tomeka Carroll
- Molly Congdon
- Will Cropper
- Jessica Dennis
- Jed Donaldson
- Ashley Driscoll
- Katy Foucar-Szocki
- Ryan Gabriel, M.D.
- Charles Hill
- Lee Lester
- Gordon McCormick
- Margot McDonald
- Lucy Moore
- Katie Muzevich
- Rachel Norris
- Michael Overman
- Frank Pendleton
- John Pendleton
- Sallie Pruitt
- James Schettine
- Liza Jarvis Scott
- Brantley Scott
- Megan Semmelman
- Holly Sigler
- Jamie Specter
- Christina Todd
- Sarah Gray Tullidge
- Andy Vorenberg, M.D.
- Abbey Withrow
Julie Dillon, Massey Cancer Center Development Board Liaison
Lauren Kiger, Massey Cancer Center Development Events Liaison
- Massey Alliance Events
Massey Alliance hosts three signature fundraising events, one each in winter, summer and fall, to raise money for VCU Massey Cancer Center.
The Christmas Gala is a night of dinner, dancing and good holiday cheer benefiting Massey Cancer Center.
Enjoy a beautiful evening under the stars at James River Cellars sampling their fantastic wine offerings and local craft beers, catered fare and the snazzy tunes of The Remnants.
Massey on the River
Dance along the James River sipping wine and beer, sampling delicious Southern French delights and bidding on enticing silent auction items. Massey on the River is a night full of fun entertainment!
- Join Massey Alliance
To join or to recommend a friend for membership, please complete our Massey Alliance registration form. You will receive regular e-mails about volunteer opportunities, special events and updates about Massey and the Alliance. If you have questions, please contact TeamMassey@vcu.edu or visit the Massey Alliance Facebook page.
The Massey Alliance combined fun and philanthropy to raise money, awareness and provide important volunteer support for Massey through:
- Fundraising: The Massey Alliance donates all proceeds from its events throughout the year directly to the Massey Cancer Center.
- Volunteerism: The Massey Alliance Board Members and the Massey Alliance support numerous events benefiting Massey, including the Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k, Saks Fifth Avenue “Key to the Cure,” and The Bizarre Bazaar. The Alliance is always looking for passionate and dedicated volunteers; please take a look at our fun and rewarding volunteer opportunities.
- Community outreach: Mosaic of Hope is the the tile-painting project and display for the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit and an example of the Alliance’s community spirit. Patients who receive stem cell or bone marrow transplants have the opportunity to paint their own ceramic tile as a reflection of their experience. Tiles are framed and displayed in the unit as a way to honor both the individual and the shared journey of patients and caregivers.
- Community awareness: The members of the Massey Alliance are charged with helping to raise awareness for VCU Massey Cancer Center as an important local and national institution for cancer research and patient care. Alliance members can be found at various events such as the 17th Street Farmer’s Market, throughout the year promoting research and patient care.
- Volunteer at 10k water stop
Volunteers needed for Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k Massey Alliance water stop
We are fast approaching the Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10k on March 28, 2015 and we need volunteers like YOU!
What it is: The Massey Alliance Water Stop is part of the Massey Mile, where more than 500 Massey and 10k supporters will gather between Miles 3 and 4 of the Ukrop’s Monument Ave 10k to cheer on the 10k participants and help “put cancer on the run.”
What we need: Volunteers to help set up the water stop and hand out approximately 54,000 cups for water and POWERade to nearly 40,000 race participants!
Where and when: Saturday, March 28th from 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. at the Corner of Monument Avenue and Blacker Street. Set up will be from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.Runners will start coming by for water around 8:30 a.m.
How to sign up: To sign up to volunteer at the Massey Alliance water stop, please send your first and last name, email address and t-shirt size to Maggie Finnegan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional details will be provided closer to the event date. Your support is greatly appreciated!