Through partnerships with various schools and departments at VCU and VCU Medical Center, VCU Massey Cancer Center has access to a host of experts on many forms of integrative medicine. We are working with them to compile an online library of healthy living resources for survivors in our region.
Please continue to check this page for new tools designed to help survivors reduce stress, improve recovery and live healthy.
Jo Lynne Robins, Ph.D., is an assistant professor in the VCU School of Nursing who has studied the effects of tai chi on cancer patients. Robins produced the following video to help patients with health issues become acquainted with tai chi and mindfulness meditation techniques that help to reduce stress and improve physical and psychological help.
Introduction to tai chi and focused breathing warm-up
Overview of stances and moving meditation
More moving meditation techniques
Additional moving meditation techniques and cool-down
Continuous tai chi session
Not sure how to start exercising or what foods you should eat? Read these five tips for maintaining a healthy weight.
Below are the PowerPoint slides and informational handouts from past seminars and workshops.
- Yoga for cancer patients, a handout to supplement classroom instruction (handout)
- Healthy eating with Diane Wilson, Ed.D., R.D. (presentation slides)
- Yoga with Mary Shall, P.T., Ph.D. (presentation slides)
- Exercise with Stephen Gudas, Ph.D. (presentation slides)
- Tai chi with Jo Lynne Robins, Ph.D., C.N.P. (presentation slides)
- Smoking cessation with Linda Hancock, Ph.D. (presentation slides)