Thomas Palliative Care Unit
The Thomas Palliative Care Unit provides a unique and home-like atmosphere on the fourth floor at the VCU Medical Center’s North Hospital. This location provides easy access to all appropriate therapies and interventions throughout the Center.
Our 11-bed Unit offers a liberal visitation policy and allows children of all ages, as well as pets who meet unit guidelines, to visit patients. The Unit has a family room with TV, videocassette recorder, play area for children and a fully equipped kitchen. Hallways are carpeted to reduce noise. Some rooms have ceiling fans; all have private bathrooms with a shower.
The Thomas Palliative Care Unit is designed to accommodate any person who needs help with symptom management related to any of the following illnesses:
- Sickle cell disease
- Heart, respiratory, kidney or liver disease
- Transplant failure
- Other life-limiting illnesses
We ask that patients meet three main criteria in order to be admitted to the Thomas Palliative Care Unit:
- The patient has an acute-care need for hospitalization
- The patient has a symptom or symptoms that are not adequately managed with current therapy
- Patient and family goals of care are consistent with palliative care philosophy