Recipe corner: cooking with tomatoes
Tomatoes are the second most eaten vegetable in the United States and the American Institute for Cancer Research identifies them as an excellent source of vitamins C and A. There are many great ways to cook with tomatoes, especially during the summer months. Check out these easy to prepare and delicious tomato recipes!
Garlic and Parmesan Baked Tomatoes
- 2-3 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded or shaved
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for drizzling over the top
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
As you are prepping your tomatoes, go ahead and preheat your oven to 400°F. Cut the tomatoes into 2 inch slices and position in a baking dish. Cover each tomato slice with minced garlic and parmesan cheese. Drizzle your tomatoes with olive oil. Prior to placing the tomatoes in the oven add Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Bake until cheese is melted or about 12 minutes. Once you remove your dish from the oven top each tomato with fresh chopped parsley and serve immediately. This dish can be paired well with chicken or fish.
Colorful Summer Spinach Salad
- 1/2 cups organic spinach leaves
- 1/2avocado, sliced into pieces
- 1/3 cup organic cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/3 cup organic blackberries
- 1/3 cup raw pecans
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoonapple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients listed for the salad. In a container with a lid, combine all of the dressing ingredients. Mix or shake the dressing well. Pour the dressing on top of the salad and toss, so all of the ingredients are coated with dressing. Share with family or friends and enjoy!
Recipes prepared by Allie Farley, M.S., R.D., L.D., registered dietitian at VCU Health, based on inspiration from eatingwell101.com and theheartysoul.com. Visit our Diet and Nutrition blog for more recipes and information about the role that diet plays in cancer.