Treatment for germ cell tumors
Specific treatment for germ cell tumors will be determined by your child’s physician based on:
- Your child’s age, overall health and medical history.
- Extent of the disease.
- Your child’s tolerance for specific medications, procedures or therapies.
- Expectations for the course of the disease.
- Your opinion or preference.
Treatment may include (alone or in combination) the following methods:
- Surgery – to remove tumor and involved organs.
- Bone marrow transplantation.
- Supportive care – for the effects of treatment.
- Hormonal replacement – if necessary.
- Antibiotics – to prevent/treat infections.
- Continuous follow-up care – to determine response to treatment, detect recurrent disease and manage the late effects of treatment.