Treatment for acute and chronic leukemias
Specific treatment for acute and chronic leukemias will be determined by your physician based on:
- Your age, overall health and medical history.
- Extent of the disease.
- Your tolerance for specific medications, procedures or therapies.
- Expectations for the course of the disease.
- Your opinion, preference or goals.
Treatment may include:
- Radiation therapy.
- Bone marrow transplantation.
- Biological therapy – using the body’s immune system to fight cancer.
- Blood transfusion (red blood cells, platelets).
- Medications – to prevent or treat damage to other systems of the body caused by leukemia treatment.