- Join the Massey Alliance
The Massey Alliance is a group of young professionals who raise awareness of and support for the research, resources, and programs at VCU Massey Cancer Center. Through volunteerism, community outreach and fundraising, the Alliance expresses its strong support for the people and programs at Massey.
Since its formation in 2002, the Alliance has evolved into an over 40-member junior board under the Massey Cancer Center Advisory Board, as well as an ever-expanding group of more than 500 volunteers. Through its events, outreach, and fundraising, the Alliance forms a foundation of philanthropy, that will benefit Massey Cancer Center for years to come.
To join or to recommend a friend for membership, please complete our Massey Alliance Interest Form . You will receive regular emails about volunteer opportunities, special events and updates about Massey and the Alliance. If you have questions, please contact TeamMassey@vcu.edu or visit the Massey Alliance Facebook page.
The Massey Alliance combined fun and philanthropy to raise money, awareness and provide important volunteer support for Massey through:
- Fundraising: The Massey Alliance donates all proceeds from its events throughout the year directly to the Massey Cancer Center. The Masey Alliance raises funds through signature events such as Massey on the River and Richmond Brunch Weekend, as well as their Team Massey Alliance fundraising page.
- Volunteerism: The Massey Alliance Board Members and the Massey Alliance support numerous events benefiting Massey, including the Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k, Women & Wellness Forum Series and more. The Alliance is always looking for passionate and dedicated volunteers; please take a look at our fun and rewarding volunteer opportunities.
- Community outreach: Outreach projects include collections of items for patients and families, "Mosaic of Hope," which is the tile-painting project and display for the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, support of the Palliative Care Unit therapy dog, Renny, and annual support of at least one family during the holiday season.
- Community awareness: The members of the Massey Alliance are charged with helping to raise awareness for VCU Massey Cancer Center as an important local and national institution for cancer research and patient care. Alliance members can be found at various events such as the 17th Street Farmer’s Market, throughout the year promoting research and patient care.
- Massey Alliance Events
Throughout the year, the Massey Alliance hosts several events to raise funds and awareness for Massey Cancer Center, as well as provide great networking opportunities for other passionate young professionals in the Richmond area.
Friday, September 22, 2017 -- Mayo Island, Richmond, VA
Plan now to join us for 2017's Massey on the River presented by CoStar Group Friday, September 22, 2017, hosted by the Massey Alliance.
Guests will once again dance along to the lively tunes of Three Sheets to the Wind, enjoy delicious bites and beverages, and bid on enticing silent auction items - all along the backdrop of the James River. Interested in sponsoring this annual fundraising event? Sponsorship opportunities are available between $1,000 - $7,500! Please contact Michelle Adcock for more information.
- Massey Alliance Board Members
2017-2018 Massey Alliance Board Officers
Abbey Withrow, President
Meg Irvin, President Elect
Elizabeth Minter, Immediate Past President
Anny Irons, Outreach Chair
Sara Woznicki, Communications Chair
Nicholas Shedd, Fundraising Co-Chair
Tyler Sorenson, Fundraising Co-Chair
Sarah Jenks, Education Chair
Philip Matthews, Membership Development Chair
Margot McDonald, Secretary
2017-2018 Massey Alliance Board Members
Nicholas S. DeVita
Ryan Gabriel, M.D.
Sarah Boykin Jenks
Cambridge P. Lestienne
Philip Vance Matthews
Margot Adams McDonald
Clint A. Nichols
Nicholas Jack Shedd
Steven A. Valdez
Michelle Adcock, Massey Cancer Center Development Board Liaison
- Massey Alliance Quick Links
The Massey Alliance serves as a group of dedicated volunteers who share Massey Cancer Center's mission, achievements and upcoming events with their peers. Below are important links to ensure that our members are informed and armed to serve as positive advocates for Massey Cancer Center.
The Massey Alliance Facebook page is the best way to get the most up-to-date information about Massey Alliance events, promotions and news about Massey Cancer Center. Don't forget to use #MasseyAlliance when attending our events!
The Massey Advisory Board Tool Kit is a one-stop-shop for Massey information. From videos to powerpoints to our news and stats, this link provides you with basic Massey background information.
The blog is where you will find great articles on Massey researchers and the impact their work is making in our community and beyond.
Massey Alliance in action
For assistance accessing information related to our programs, please contact Michelle Adcock.